10 Indications That The Social Singularity Has Arrived
"The term singularity describes the moment when a civilization changes so much that its rules and technologies are incomprehensible to previous generations. Think of it as a point-of-no-return in history." - Annalee Newitz, "What Is The Singularity And Will You Live To See It?", io9
To be connected is to be social, either latently or actively. And today, the gulf between the "social" and "non-social" person is so vast that the one literally cannot comprehend the other. But the "social" are younger, and they will soon overtake the world.
In the world of "social":
1. Every person is expected to be online in some way.
2. You are expected to be online all the time, or nearly.
3. One mobile device to connect to the Internet is not enough.
4.There are never enough plugs or sufficiently powerful chargers.
5. Babies learn iPads before they learn English.
6. Presidents take selfies.
7. Brands "talk" on Twitter as though they were human beings.
8. Fifteen-year-old coders have better job prospects than most Ph.D.s.
9. Most everything we wear, own, use or drive will soon be connected to the Internet.
10. The ordinary person is puzzled by the concept of privacy.