When you represent an organization, you represent everything: You cannot pick and choose.
To better understand this, see below:
1. Every organization is a brand.
2. Every brand communicates overtly and covertly.
3. Customers pick up on all forms of communication.
4. Customers form perceptions based primarily on the stuff you DON'T OR WON'T SAY.
5. Knowing this, it is vital to empower your communicators to represent you in all aspects - responding to public concerns that you did not know about, did not anticipate, do not like, and that frankly may even seem insane.
By Dannielle Blumenthal, Ph.D. All opinions are the author's own. This is a personal account unrelated to and not sponsored by the author's employer or any other entity. The author shares this content for reuse under the Creative Commons 3.0 License. For more information: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/us/.