In Honor of Star Trek's 50th Anniversary: Captain Picard's 10 Best Quotes
Did you know that September 8, 2016 marked exactly 50 years since the first episode of Star Trek was aired? In my world this is a very big deal, not just because I'm a fan but also because Captain Jean-Luc Picard is one of my leadership "gurus."
In honor of this momentous occasion, here are some of the Captain's most well-known and inspiring lines about leadership, humanity and life:
- "The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in our lives. We work to better ourselves and the rest of humanity."
- "What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived."
- "It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness...that is life."
- "If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are."
- "The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."
- "There are times, Sir, when men of good conscience cannot blindly follow orders."
- "There can be no justice so long as laws are absolute."
- "I have never subscribed to the theory that political power flows from the barrel of a gun."
- "Villains who twirl their mustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged."
- "I will have as much tea as I damn well please."
All opinions my own. Photo via Wikipedia.