"Brand Is More Than Logo" - Convincing The Client
In the realm of brand, to get beyond logo, your goal is to show very tangibly that:
* The "real" brand has to do with delivery not just image.
* Delivery occurs through employees.
* Employees therefore drive brand value.
The problem is that people convince themselves - rarely are we convinced by others. Pure "facts" and "feelings" are not enough.
Your job as the consultant is therefore to facilitate the process of self-convincing.
Generally there are 5 factors leading a person or group to shift their point of view or belief system. All go back to "WIIFM" ("What's in it for me?")
1) Biological incentive - The new belief system energizes me, makes me feel good
2) Financial incentive - I will make more money
3) Psychological incentive - I will experience positive emotions or negative ones will be alleviated
4) Social incentive - I want to be respected by my peers, I want to be "in the know"
5) Spiritual incentive - I want my life to be worth something, I want to make meaning
Therefore, your job as the consultant is as follows:
1) Figure out which of these drivers of change is primary for the client.
2) Demonstrate how the client's primary driver is ill-served by current thinking, using:
--Benchmarking -- e.g. How others are winning
--Gap analysis - e.g. client's perception versus stakeholder perception
--Optimization analysis - e.g. a projection of potential improved performance
3) Providing a simple visualization of what brand optimization would look like and how YOUR team is best poised to deliver the custom work needed. (Most likely you will need to partner with others because no single firm can do it all and do it best.)
The specifics of this conversation and presentation vary from client to client because it has to be tailored to the factor that is most convincing to them.
At all times the constant is that clients learn through interaction with you. You are the expert facilitator of their enlightenment. Words on a page are not enough.
* All opinions my own.