28 Things I Should've Known Earlier
The neurons in my brain connected a few dots this weekend, so here you go. What do you all think of this list? How would you add, change, modify?
- The Creator of the Universe is not a man (or a woman), but the perfect synthesis of love and justice.
- Suffering is not to accept but to strive to overcome.
- Poverty is a human invention and humans could end it now if we wanted to.
- Blind faith is sometimes necessary, but only if it's truly impossible to get the facts.
- Hatred from others is a form of feedback.
- If we can't solve a problem often it's because we begin with the wrong assumptions.
- The worst kind of discrimination is the kind people level against themselves.
- Giving charity is selfish for a lot of reasons, but letting that stop you is just an excuse.
- People intuitively know how to find your flaws, so you may as well laugh about them.
- Marketers distort the truth only to the extent that customers want them to.
- Rarely is there a problem so unique that you can't find an example of it on the Internet.
- Some personality traits are best viewed online, especially bluntness and transparency.
- All significant trends start locally, spread sideways, and then funnel up.
- Most meaningful things in life are undiscussable in words.
- Strategic planning is a process exercise not a journey toward an end state.
- The more influential others think you are, the more legitimacy you will actually have.
- About 50% of your career success will come down to how you dress, 25% to how you speak, and 25% to your awareness of what the real influencers really want.
- Other people know a lot more than you may give them credit for.
- Karma is real - the energy you give out, is the energy you will receive in return.
- Family is made, not born.
- You can give up a lot of things but never your integrity.
- Wearing black all the time is a cop-out not a clothing strategy.
- Friends who make you laugh are priceless.
- Blaming others is a way of making a choice.
- Chasing meaning will make you happy but the reverse is not true at all.
- If you want to live forever, only eat food that you can identify without an ingredient list.
- You can get endless good advice but it is worthless unless you act on it.
- Rarely will anybody give you 28 pieces of good advice unless they want something in return.
Image credit: Christopher Neugebauer via Flickr