10 Tips for New Leaders, Most of Them From a Wise Friend
|Image via Wikipedia|
- Act the part till you feel it is “you.”
- Have someone in mind to model yourself after.
- Dress the part – time to go shopping!
- When someone is hostile – remember it’s not personal; don’t engage at their level; and don’t be afraid to call them out and remind them to be a professional.
- Remember that you are a leader now, and it's all about approach (not agitating to be heard).
- Build coalitions and make sure everyone is informed who needs to be.
- Timing is everything – ride the wave when you have it, and don’t push things when you know they won’t fly.
- Document how you make key decisions so that you can defend them later; document meetings, conversations, and accomplishments.
- Ask for input; challenge people to make your concepts better; do small hands-on demos so that they can see what you’re working on and help improve it.
- Set up regular meetings, make them open but have an agenda, and provide an incentive for people to attend – especially food.
Have a great day everyone - and good luck!