10 Signs It's Time To Slow Down (Personal Reflection)
Yesterday I did a crazy thing. I actually went for a walk with a friend. And I only checked my smartphone 3 times.
The whole thing was totally inefficient. We didn't really walk anywhere because she had her kid. And the kid kept wanting to get out of the stroller and do things like pet dogs and get big heavy rocks from the creek bed. Which my friend then had to put in the stroller basket. Making it weight about five thousand pounds.
We laughed at the bikers who complained that the stroller was getting in their way. They are so neurotic, we said. Ha ha ha.
And then I realized that I am the biker, usually. Always rushing. Time to take a break, at least once in a blue moon.
You don't need to be a genius to know that rushing can get you into a lot of trouble.
We think that going fast saves us time. It does - in the short term.
Long-term it leads to headaches. Not in order of priority, some examples:
1. Death or disfigurement from a car accident
2. Painful struggle with a troubled child suffering from substance abuse, social trouble, too-early sexual behavior, etc.
3. Getting fired or alienating someone at work due to making a careless mistake that insults someone; writing a harsh email; or speaking rudely
4. Computer crash due to a virus obtained by carelessly clicking on a link; theft of personal data
5. Waste of one's creativity by doing everything else except the thing that one is uniquely talented to do (write, paint, make music, etc.)
6. Choosing sides on an issue incorrectly due to jumping to conclusions; misjudging a person based on first impression
7. Wasted money due to rushed purchases - clothes that don't look good, don't fit, etc.
8. Weight gain and illness from eating junky, processed convenience food, not exercising, etc.
9. Supporting the wrong side of a social or political issue, or misjudging due to jumping to conclusions
10. Being elderly, unwell and sad because you've rushed through life and missed out on all the stuff that mattered.
The most important thing of all of course is losing touch with one's spiritual side...our purpose in life. What gives it all meaning in the first place.
I wrote this blog to give myself some advice; hope it is helpful to you too.
Hope everyone has a nice day, a slower day, a peaceful one.
Good luck :-)
Photo credit: Me