10 Suggestions for More Efficient Government
It's a rainy Monday morning here in D.C. and for some reason I am having all these heavy thoughts about the state of things.
Oh I know what it is...I spent too much time on the Fast Company "30 second MBA" page yesterday. Excellent.
Anyway, here goes:1. Run it like a business - with a focus on financial return on investment.
2. Facilitate a healthy emotional environment through the expanded use of internal communication.
3. Use diversity as a strategic planning tool rather than just looking at it as a compliance exercise.
4. Incorporate training into work all the time.
5. Create programs to recruit members of the public who would not normally join government.
6. Bring advanced technology to bear on all jobs, and train people to use it.
7. Look at work in terms of projects rather than programs; train people in the art and science of project management.
8. Dismantle hierarchical organizational structures that impede innovation and change.
9. Reorganize along lines that make sense to the customer.
10. Make key performance metrics easily accessible to the public and employees.
Please add your suggestions to the list.
Have a good day everyone, and good luck!