10 Reasons Why Communicators Avoid Technology
A lot of the time we run the other way, even if technology can make our lives easier and better.
- Comfort with the traditional way of doing things
- Fear of loss of power to those who are better informed
- Fear of losing status if the technology doesn't work out well
- Perception that it’s a “waste of time” or “we tried that before and it failed”
- Mistrust of solutions that depend on sharing information with others
- Benefit not clear (because most technologists have trouble marketing their solutions)
- High cost - perceived or actual
- Hassle to use - perceived or actual
- Stubborn resistance - due to bureaucracy, culture, or scared people (see above)
- Shortsightedness - refusal to fund training or technologies that don't solve an immediate problem
With all this stuff going on, is it any wonder we wait for a crisis to change? I totally sympathize.
Nevertheless, if you are a communicator who is avoiding technology, do a 180 as fast as you can. Technology is here to stay - and those who ignore it are ignoring an asteroid that has already hit.