10 Ways to Reinvent Your Personal Brand
1. Attitude: Change your mindset. It's about learning, not perfection, and you are a dedicated lifelong student.
2. Confidence: You are no better or worse than anybody else out there. Value what you bring to the table.
3. Wardrobe: Whatever style of clothing you wear, wear it with intention. People notice your clothes first. And don't forget the shoes.
4. Training: These days, education is available freely, and a lot of it is actually free. Take advantage of it.
5. Social networking: Find websites that reflect your interest and participate in the community. You don't have to be an expert to join the conversation.
6. Profile photo: Make sure your face is visible. Some people tend to crowd the thumbnail image to the point where they're not even visible.
7. LinkedIn: Must be there.
8. Blog: Whether anybody reads it or not, you must write. If nothing else, it will help you learn your subject matter and polish your communication skills as well. (Same goes for Twitter: Provide useful information on an ongoing basis.)
9. Volunteering: Somewhere out there is a person or organization who will "hire" you to do what you're interested in. By volunteering, you can learn new skills and be helpful at the same time.
10. Labeling: The world is changing and your brand must change too. Make sure to describe yourself on your public profiles in the way that you want to be known. It's OK to change the label every year or two - this is simply a reflection of changing times. Think in terms of what will be relevant over the next six months to one year, and don't get stuck on the label you acquired in college, graduate school, or even in your early jobs.